Thursday, June 24, 2010

OF NOISE AND MEN by Mikey “Billy B.” Abola

Here's a write-up / gig report of Noises at the Park by Mikey 'Billy B.' Abola.



--


OF NOISE AND MEN


As it lit up at the backdrop of the stage, the dated, almost iconic, neon-blue sign read: Concert at the Park. “Oh my God! Ingay lang ‘to!” exclaimed a middle-aged man sitting at the bleachers of the ampitheater at Rizal Park. The man was reacting to an emcee’s introduction to the evening’s free musical presentation, where words like “electronica-punk,” “experimental,” and “edgy” were used. I asked myself, “What’s that supposed to mean?”


The program was underway and as it progressed, there was something noticeable on most of the people’s faces—befuddlement if not confusion, irritation if not outright anger. In hindsight, what unfolded was pretty much the intertwining of various mediums: theater, poetry, film, and, I guess, something that can be described as music. Honestly, I’m not too sure about what I heard. But for the rest of the audience, especially the children who covered their ears, the performance probably sounded a lot like, well, noise.



READ MORE HERE





--

No comments: